From: ert256 <ert256@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Smartd
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 17:09:53
1 [ 23.10.2008 17:14 ], Jon Hardcastle :
2 > Probably not strictly a Gentoo issue, but as i am running Gentoo I'll see if the collective knowledge here can help me!
3 >
4 > I have a strange problem with my server. All the hard drives go to sleep after ~3hrs of inactivity. BUT if they happen to still be asleep when the scheduled smart check takes place you can hear it 'spin up' and just before you know the drive is 'up' smartd decides the drive isn't smart capable and gives up. I get log entries in 'messages' and dmesg and also smartd emails me to tell me the drive isn't smart capable.
5 >
6 > You get the same result if you do -a on a sleeping drive... it says the drive isn't capable.. run it again.. and Bob's your uncle. Any clues? Can you vary the time before it tries after a spin up?
7 >
8 If this is a server, why don't you turn auto-sleep off ?
9 Or maybe you can check out -n option in manual
10 --
11 Rafał (ert16) Trójniak
12 m@il : ert256@×××××.com
13 Jid : ert256@×××××.com