From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] How to tar?
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:29:06
1 > From:: "Michael Crute" <mcrute@×××××.com>
2 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
3 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to tar?
4 > Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:32:55 -0500
5
6 > In that case I would create /usr on one filesystem and /portage on
7 > another partition then create /usr/portage and mount /portage to it
8 > then untar your file. It should look like this:
9 >
10 > /dev/hdx1 (/usr)
11 > /dev/hdx2 (/portage)
12 >
13 > /usr/portage -> /portage
14 >
15 > Seems to be the most straightforward way of doing it to me.
16
17 Cool! As things currently are gentoo_usr.tgz is in /dev/hda2, which is destined to house the /usr/portage directory. /dev/hda2 is a 4.0G partition with only 74M available. My /usr is more than 3.9G large. /dev/hda3 will have the rest of the filesystem (and the remaining /usr directory).
18
19 What should I run to untar the rest of /usr (excluding /usr/portage) into /dev/hda3 and at the same time delete it from within the gentoo_usr.tgz archive, so that I get some space in /dev/hda2 to untar /usr/portage? Really, what I think is needed here is untarring of the archive, while untarred data is dynamically deleted immediately after untarred to make space for more data to be untarred . . . do I make sense?
20 --
21 Regards,
22 Mick
23
24 Lycos iQ - show what you knoW: iq.lycos.co.uk