From: Johannes Rosenberger <gentoo@×××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Different build options for specific packages
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 10:55:53
1 On 11.02.2017 10:39, Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >> This is how I have configured per package FEATURES here and it seems to work.
4 >> For example configuring ccache for large packages which take days to emerge on
5 >> an old PC:
6 >>
7 >> # cat /etc/portage/env/ccache.conf
8 >> FEATURES="ccache"
9 >>
10 >> Now I need to point particular package(s) to it:
11 >>
12 >> # cat /etc/portage/package.env
13 >> app-office/libreoffice ccache.conf
14 >> www-client/firefox ccache.conf
15 >> www-client/chromium ram_limit.conf ccache.conf
16 >>
17 >> If I want more packages to use ccache.conf I add their name/version in the
18 >> /etc/portage/package.env file.
19 >>
20 > I just tried copying your way, except for the setting I want, and it
21 > didn't work. I'm wondering if it just won't do this particular setting
22 > for some reason.
23 >
24 > I've tried having package.env as a file and as a directory. It didn't
25 > like either way. Either it can't do this or I'm missing something
26 > really simple here.
27 >
28 > Thanks.
29 >
30 > Dale
31 >
32 > :-) :-)
35 I think the problem is that you can change FEATURES but not emerge
36 arguments while emerging since ebuild(1) is invoked fore every package
37 but emerge(1) once for all.
38
39 So I see two possible solutions here:
40
41 1. Dump the list of packages to install via emerge -p. Then split the
42 list up and chain
43 emerge invocations (possibly with arg --nodeps) such that the
44 non-parallel
45 packages will be invoked separately.
46 2. Use emerge options -j and --load-average so that no new ebuilds are
47 started
48 while one uses much cpu load. In my experience this does not
49 unparallellize
50 reliably but I am trying out to use higher job and load limits in
51 MAKEOPTS
52 than in emerge args so single packages that can utilize the whole cpu
53 do so before
54 emerge intervenes and starts another ebuild.
55
56 I hope this helps
57
58 Johannes