From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Expect a ~15% average slowdown if you use an Intel processor
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 14:12:41
1 On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm running openrc. On my 32-bit install, Intel Core2 duo, I get...
4 >
5 > zgrep BPF /proc/config.gz
6 > CONFIG_BPF=y
7 > # CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL is not set
8 > # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_BPF is not set
9 > # CONFIG_TEST_BPF is not set
10 >
11 > On my 64-bit install, Intel Silvermont (Atom), I get...
12 >
13 > zgrep BPF /proc/config.gz
14 > CONFIG_BPF=y
15 > # CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL is not set
16 > # CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_BPF is not set
17 > # CONFIG_BPF_JIT is not set
18 > CONFIG_HAVE_EBPF_JIT=y
19 > # CONFIG_TEST_BPF is not set
20 >
21 > Does this improve security at all versus meltdown/spectre? Any
22 > suggestions for changes?
23
24 Intel hardware is vulnerable to Spectre variant 1, and Meltdown,
25 regardless of any kernel settings, unless the kernel is patched to
26 defeat it. I'm less sure about whether you're vulnerable to Spectre
27 variant 2 with JIT BPF turned off. PTI is required to defeat Meltdown
28 on Intel hardware. I don't think a patch to Spectre is in the stable
29 linux kernel yet, though it seems like Redhat may have pushed out some
30 kind of patch for it (possibly in conjunction with a microcode update
31 to enable it).
32
33 Disabling BPF JIT (which is the default state) does defeat the known
34 Spectre attacks on AMD hardware, and AMD hardware is immune to
35 Meltdown.
36
37 Note that this is only talking about the kernel. Userspace code can
38 also be vulnerable to cross-process Spectre attacks (particularly
39 browsers) and those require specific hardening as well at the software
40 level. On Gentoo we would get the benefit that if a gcc-level fix is
41 developed we could harden everything at once with a complete rebuild.
42 However, at this time gcc hasn't been patched. There is plenty of
43 talk of it though. Some of the proposed solutions also need CPU
44 microcode updates to enable them. The idea is that gcc would insert
45 instructions in sensitive locations to fence in speculative execution,
46 and the microcode would get the CPU to respect these boundaries.
47
48 Intel has published this regarding their hardware:
49 https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/01/Intel-Analysis-of-Speculative-Execution-Side-Channels.pdf
50
51 (This is targeted more at developers than users, including OS developers.)
54 Rich