From: "Petr Vaněk" <arkamar@×××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: lembark@×××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone have experience, good or bad, with s6?
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 17:38:23
1 On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 10:04:31AM -0500, Steven Lembark wrote:
2 > Seems like a reasonable idea, wondering if anyone has seen particularly
3 > good or bad results from trying to use it (on gentoo or anything else).
4
5 Hi Steven,
6
7 I use s6/s6-rc/s6-linux-init on most of my computers (few laptops,
8 desktop and RPi3). It works just as expected, however it took some time
9 to built whole dependency graph of all services and oneshots, especially
10 to make some parts sharable across multiple machines.
11
12 A little disadvantage is the lack of support in Gentoo, by which I mean
13 there are no s6 run scripts installed by emerge. A slightly bigger
14 disadvantage is/was some collision of s6-linux-init with sysvinit or
15 openrc (I don't remember exactly) which led me to creation of my own s6
16 profiles (see https://github.com/arkamar/overlay/tree/master/profiles).
17
18 Looking to the history, I already use s6 powered Gentoos for more than 3
19 years and except of those few struggles, everything works just fine.
20
21 Petr