From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning redundant configuration files
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 07:03:09
1 Cfg-update has such a logic. It looks for user changes, If there are
2 decisions to make at all and previous decisions.
3
4 Ihatethespellcheckerofmyphone.
5
6 Am 31.05.2011 08:49 schrieb "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>:
7
8 On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:08 AM, David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > On Mon, 30 May 2011 21...
10 The logic appears to be that an unmodified file will be re-instated
11 as-is should the package be re-merged, so nothing changes. A modified
12 config file is more problematic - if the package is re-merged, which
13 version should be used? The old one or the new vanilla one? Presumably
14 the user modified the file last time round for a reason and that
15 reason might still be valid.
16
17 Only one sensible choice remains - present both files to the human
18 user and ask them to decide.
19
20 If memory serves, this is in some doc somewhere, I know I read it long
21 ago but don't remember where.
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com