From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: build programs in other distros
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:32:03
1 On 2017-07-28 18:07, Francisco Ares wrote:
2
3 > Recently I tried to build one of my programs in an Ubuntu distro, and
4 > it didn't build at all, messing library and include files names and
5 > locations.
6 >
7 > How do real developers manage this? And why this difference happens,
8 > in the first place? Why mangle uper/lower case characters in library
9 > file names?
10 >
11 > I guess that's why "autoconf" "configure" et al exists... But never
12 > tried to learn about them, so perhaps it's time now?
13
14 No, it's why pkg-config(1) et al exists. For the kind of problems you
15 mention, you should be able to use pkg-config without autotools.
18 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
19 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
20 Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.