From: masterprometheus <masterprometheus666@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: AMD hdaudio: why do I have two audio devices and two mixers?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 13:35:11
1 walt wrote:
2
3 > Fresh gentoo install on new lenovo desktop. Both linux and win7
4 > (lenovo installed) tell me that this machine has two audio devices:
5 >
6 > 00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek
7 > HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series] Subsystem: Lenovo
8 > Device 3625 Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
9 > Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
10
11 That's the HDMI output of your integrated GPU. All AMD graphics,
12 including the APU you have, come with integrated HDMI Audio.
13
14 > 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia
15 > Controller (rev 01) Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3625
16 > Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
17 > Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
18
19 This is the one you have to use for laptop audio.
20
21 > I spent an entire frustrating day discovering that the reason I
22 > have no sound is that every app wants to use /dev/mixer when only
23 > /dev/mixer1 actually works :(
24 >
25 > Only some apps (like audacious) will let me choose which mixer to
26 > use, and those apps work perfectly.
27
28 > Anyone else seen this before, I hope? Got a fix?
29
30 I think you have to make the second one the default audio device.
31 Possibly by editing the alsa.conf files found in /etc/modprobe.d and
32 /usr/share/alsa. This thread may help :
33 http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/gentoo-87/set-default-sound-
34 card-796566/
35
36 HTH