From: Nickolas Fortino <nfortino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] qt blockages...
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 01:37:02
1 On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 2:18 PM, KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
4 > wrote:
5 > > Mark Knecht schrieb:
6 > >> Hi,
7 > >> I'm not used to seeing all the additional messages below the
8 > >> blockage indication. Can someone possibly help me understand how to
9 > >> read this?
10 > >>
11 > >> Are there really application packages that cannot be installed at
12 > >> the same or is only about qt and possibly the USE flags I've got?
13 > >>
14 > >> I tried removing qjackctl (the only world package I spotted in the
15 > >> list) but that didn't help.
16 > >>
17 > >> What to try next?
18 > >>
19 > >> Thanks,
20 > >> Mark
21 > > [snip]
22 > >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked
23 > >>
24 > > [snip]
27 > > This link was great help for me. Told me everything and how to read the
28 > > blocker. So I did:
29 > >
30 > > #emerge -avC qt-4.3.3
31 > > #emerge -DuavN world (This installed qt-4.4.2)
32 > >
33 > > But now I do have a problem. When I run
34 > >
35 > > #emerge --depclean -av
36 > >
37 > > I receive the following output:
38 > > [snip]
39 > >>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:
40 > >
41 > > dev-db/sqlite
42 > > selected: 2.8.16-r4
43 > > protected: none
44 > > omitted: 3.6.6.2
45 > >
46 > > x11-libs/qt
47 > > selected: 4.4.2
48 > > protected: none
49 > > omitted: 3.3.8b-r1
50 > >
51 > > x11-libs/qt-svg
52 > > selected: 4.4.2
53 > > protected: none
54 > > omitted: none
55 > >
56 > > x11-libs/qt-opengl
57 > > selected: 4.4.2
58 > > protected: none
59 > > omitted: none
60 > >
61 > > x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns
62 > > selected: 4.4.2
63 > > protected: none
64 > > omitted: none
65 > >
66 > > x11-libs/qt-assistant
67 > > selected: 4.4.2-r1
68 > > protected: none
69 > > omitted: none
70 > >
71 > > x11-libs/qt-webkit
72 > > selected: 4.4.2
73 > > protected: none
74 > > omitted: none
75 > >
76 > > What did I miss? This results in an infinite circle of unmerging and
77 > > emerging.
78 > >
79 > > Thanks for any help
80 > >
81 > > kh
85 > In your /etc/make.conf file do you have the following line?
86 >
87 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
88 >
89 > You can do this on the emerge command line if you choose. See man
90 > emerge for info on doing that.
91 >
92 > I *think* the standard answer about why this happens is that
93 > --depclean and a basic emerge don't search all the dependencies
94 > exactly the same. If you add the --with-bdeps y option then they do.
95 >
96 > Anyway, I don't seem to run into this much using this in make.conf.
97 >
98 > Hope this helps,
99 > Mark
100 >
101 > using --with-bdeps=y would certainly work (and in the interest of full
102 disclosure is what I do), but it shouldn't be necessary.
103 Having emerge --depclean remove build dependencies should be ok. Afterwards,
104 emerge -avuDN world should do nothing, as although the build dependencies
105 for packages are missing, the world packages themselves don't need
106 rebuilding, so there is nothing to do. Thus, there is no infinite rebuilding
107 cycle, independent of the with-bdeps flag.
108
109 Nick