From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Flash and cpu_flags_x86_sse2
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 02:16:08
1 Mike Gilbert <floppym <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > > CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 \
5 > > mmx mmxext xop 3dnowprefetch 3dnow 3dnowext aes avx avx2 fma3 fma4 \
6 > > padlock popcnt "
7
8 > Exactly how did you "surmise" your list?
9
10 cat /usr/portage/profiles/desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
11
12 which is a subset of the CPU flags found in /proc/cpuinfo
15 > > What would be cool, is if the devs took the entire list of cpu flags
16 > > from proc/cpuinfo and piped it thru a simple validation script (equery
17 > > hasuse) to generate the maximum flags to set by default for a given cpu.
18 > That's exactly what cpuinfo2cpuflags-x86 does.
19
20 So the list given by the current script does not include all of the
21 flags listed in //usr/portage/profiles/desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
24 That's the explanation I was looking for. The only thing I can think
25 of is the extra flags are not every used in current packages found
26 in the portage tree. I wonder if gcc(++) might could make use
27 of those flags. I'm not making a statement, but framing a question.
28
29 But I would think that is the reason for the subset of /proc/cpuinfo
30 that forms the flags listed in :
31 /usr/portage/profiles/desc/cpu_flags_x86.desc
32
33 hth,
34 James