From: Graham Murray <graham@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:26:11
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > Ok, so my system has 2 network cards. Maybe I only use one of them, or
4 > maybe they need to be physically connected in a certain way (one to
5 > LAN, the other WAN).
6
7 In this particular case, it is pity that it is not more deterministic in
8 the first place. When installing a new system, it is not unknown for the
9 ethernet devices not to be enumerated in the same order when booted from
10 install CD and installed system. This can cause problems when doing a
11 remote server install, where you set /etc/conf.d/net according to how
12 the network is plugged during the install, and then when initially
13 booting the installed system the networking does not work because the
14 network port allocation has changed.