From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU percentage reported by gkrellm
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:54:42
1 Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
2 > I am puzzled why gkrellm does not always report 100% usage when I'm
3 > running tasks that --- I assume --- always have at least one process in
4 > the runnable state. I've never seen gkrellm pegged at 100%, even when I
5 > run 3 or more emerges (with MAKEOPTS="-j2") at the same time. (I have a
6 > single core Turion 64 processor.)
7 >
8 > What happens is that gkrellm bounces between 99% and 100%. Does the
9 > processor really go idle several times a second? Or is this an artifact
10 > of, say, the way I/O processing is reported?
11 >
12 > --- Vladimir
16 Just to let you know you are not alone, I have seen some strange
17 reporting on gkrellm too. I run folding and it don't always add up just
18 right for some reason. I'm not sure how gkrellm works but I assume it
19 reads /proc to figure out what is going on. Maybe it is the way /proc
20 files change or something.
21
22 Still like gkrellm though. Lots of skins too. ;-)
23
24 Dale
25
27 --