From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: uvesafb - does it require use of initramfs/initrd?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 03:25:37
1 On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Friday 16 January 2009 19:27:53 Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >
5 >> Now I just need to find a good consolefont that doesn't look
6 >> "squished" in 16:9 aspect ratio. Right now I'm using ter-112n (from
7 >> terminus-fonts) and it's pretty good but still a little too wide for
8 >> my taste.
9 >
10 > Thanks for the pointer to that rather nice font. I think the problem, if
11 > yours is like mine in having a 1280x800 screen, is that the frame buffer
12 > simply takes a standard 4:3 screen resolution and stretches it to fit. Thus
13 > I have a distorted 1024x768 console.
14 >
15 > The only way to get a narrower font seems to be to design one six or seven
16 > pixels wide instead of the usual eight. Or at least, to design a tall,
17 > narrow font that would look right when stretched in this way.
18 >
19 > I too would like to know if someone discovers one like this.
20
21 Well, my framebuffer is 1280x720 which is proper 16:9 aspect ratio for
22 my monitor, but the consolefonts I've tried just don't seem quite my
23 flavor. I want a small font (so I can fit a lot of characters in the
24 screen) without being "short", by which I mean I'd rather have an 8x16
25 font than an 8x8.
26
27 In Konsole I'm using "Fixed [ETL]" 10pt, whatever that is, maybe it's
28 the default, I can't remember, but it's nice.