From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lightweight webcam server for embedded gentoo?
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 18:52:31
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 01:29:23 -0800 (PST)
4 michael@×××××××××××××.com wrote:
5
6 > I'd like to be able to stream video from the webcam. I don't need full
7 > tv quality - even a jpeg every second or so will be fine. Trouble is,
8 > all the software I've found so far assumes X and many other heavy
9 > libraries. All I want is to capture jpeg images - I could write the
10 > TCP/IP server part myself.
11
12 try out mplayer. You'll probably want to reduce its features to a
13 minimum. Maybe you're better off compiling it from source yourself,
14 circumventing portage. You'll want support for v4l(2) and jpeg.
15
16 OTOH, there's VLC. This may be a good bet, too. It's specifically
17 designed to do this kind of job.
18
19 -hwh
20 --