From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Specific MAKEOPTS for one package
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 04:20:04
1 On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 02:25:50PM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote
2 > Hi Folks,
3 >
4 > I have set MAKEOPTS="-j3" in my make.conf.
5
6 I assume you have 2 cores on your cpu and you're adding 1 as per the
7 ancient rule. That may not be the best option anyways. See
8 https://blogs.gentoo.org/ago/2013/01/14/makeopts-jcore-1-is-not-the-best-optimization/
9 The author of the blog post ran multiple tests, and concluded that
10 setting MAKEOPTS -j to the actual number of cores is slightly faster.
11 Years ago, the gcc compiler was less efficient, and adding 1 to -j did
12 improve compilation speed. That is apparently not the case today.
15 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
16 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications