From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] /dev/shm permissions drwxr-xr-x root:root ?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 02:56:15
1 This may be related to me running mdev instead of udev. I've been
2 using /dev/shm for creating and deleting scratch files, to speed things
3 up when processing photographs with automated scripts. It used to work.
4 But now it no longer allows writes by anybody except root. A couple of
5 days ago, I did a big update, which resulted in devpts having to be
6 explicitly mounted. Since I run mdev instead of udev, the instruction
7 to "rc-update add udev-mount sysinit" doesn't work for me. Instead I
8 put an explicit "mount devpts" in /etc/local.d/000.start, which handles
9 the automounting. Anybody else seeing /dev/shm as root-only, or is this
10 an artifact of my weird setup?
13 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
14 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications