From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SD memory card not erasing, even with dd.
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 14:25:47
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > ...
3 >> This thread has been interesting tho.  At least I know that a Sandisk
4 >> card at least tries to fail in a way that I can get the data off that
5 >> did get written to the card.  Hey, that's a lot better than some I
6 >> guess.  :-D  I've had some other brands that when they die, they dead.
7 >> You get nothing at all.
8 >>
9 >> Dale
10 >>
11 >> :-)  :-)
12 >>
13 > From memory (I found some articles describing what was happening when
14 > investigating a while back) - its common with other brands too so
15 > might be part of the specification - if it detects a failure, it
16 > forces permanent read only mode to enable data recovery.  Some cards
17 > may be put back into write mode by software but not all and I wouldn't
18 > trust it anyway.  I have Kingston, Samsung and Sandisk cards - I
19 > regard Samsung as very slightly better but not enough to go out of my
20 > way and pay more for them.
21 >
22 > BillK
29 I tend to buy Sandisk and Kingston as well.  I'll add Samsung to my list
30 tho.
31
32 In the past, most have failed and I lose whatever was on the card.  I
33 think this is the first time one failed in this way.  I guess it depends
34 on how it fails tho.
35
36 Dale
37