From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] mail in $HOME/.maildir, why ???
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:40:15
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Christoph Gysin [mailto:cgysin@×××.ch]
3 > Sent: 24 August 2005 15:00
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mail in $HOME/.maildir, why ???
8 > Jarry wrote:
9 > > I'm using sendmail as my mail-server, and I noticed, that mail for
10 > > users is stored in $HOME/.maildir, not in /var/spool/mail.
11 > > And each mail is stored as separate file, not all in one file.
12 > > WHY???
13 >
14 > It's called the "maildir" mail storage format. I find it very
15 > useful, especially
16 > with big mailboxes...
17
18 [snip]
19 > You could add mbox to your useflags and emerge sendmail. If
20 > you *really* want to
21 > use mbox...
22
23 Could you please share any other benefits/disbenefits of the two
24 formats?
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick