From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean question
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 16:57:43
1 On Friday 04 January 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > 4.5.20_p satisfies all those listed DEPENDs, so it's OK to let
3 > depclean do what it wants.
4 >
5 > alan
9 > I wouldn't say to do this for important stuff like Python or Perl
10 > but I usually let depclean do its thing, as long as it is not a
11 > critical package, then run revdep-rebuild and let it make sure
12 > everything is sane.
13
14 Smart words :-)
15
16 Python, perl, php, gcc and several more SLOTted packages do get very
17 upset when the right versions aren't around anymore. In the case of db,
18 I've learned from experience that Sleepycat like to change the on-disk
19 format of the database, so apps that use it tend to specify exact
20 versions they want, hence the SLOTting. I find that apps that use db
21 tend to be accurate with their DEPEND versioning, so --depclean is
22 safe.
23
24 But having now said that, the odds that someone will turn round and
25 prove me wrong in the next 10 minutes are very very good indeed, hehehe
26
27 > I also make it a habit not to log out or reboot between depclean and
28 > revdep-rebuild too.    Of course, asking is not a bad idea either.
29
30 You just brightened my day with that comment - it was a very miserable
31 one with rain all morning and nothign to do all afternoon :-)
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list