From: Troy Curtis Jr <troycurtisjr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Practical log reviewing
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 02:08:34
1 Logwatch is really designed to be run as a cronjob which sends you an
2 email after it has parsed through your logs. The configuration for
3 logwatch is located in the /etc/log.d/ directory. In that directory
4 you will find many scripts and configuration options for a wide range
5 of different log files. You will want to start with
6 /etc/log.d/conf/logwatch.conf. By default it send the email message
7 with the log analysis to root (you can set it to whatever you like if
8 you have your mailer configured correctly).
9
10 You should probably get a meaningful analysis with all the defaults,
11 just check your root accounts mail.
12
13 I have been using logwatch for many months now and have been very
14 happy with it. Hope this helps point you in the right direction.
15 (Also check /etc/cron.daily/logwatch for the default cronjob).
16
17 Troy
18
19 BTW the obfuscated perl email address that gentux uses has to be the
20 coolest sig ever!