From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Portage doesn't notice all networkmanager dependencies for rebuild
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 13:09:08
1 Hello,
2
3 I was "upgrading" (or downgrading technically) from ~x86 to x86. So I
4 didn't update or sync for about 6 months, and then with a few exceptions for
5 ~x86 in /etc/portage/package.keywords I was able to get to stable after
6 emerging ~384 packages. This is not a highly recommended process, but it's
7 one of two ways to get from unstable back to stable, and generally speaking
8 things went just fine.
9
10 However, networkmanager was never rebuilt by portage, and I found it was not
11 working quite right after the updates. The nm-applet (and other wireless
12 probes) could see networks, locate access points, and request WEP & WPA keys
13 and so on, but an IP address was never issued, and it just keeps asking for
14 the password. I tried some hacks and fixes, but I can confirm all I needed
15 to do was rebuild networkmanager.
16
17 Given that I updated so many packages, it's very difficult for me to file a
18 useful bug report on it. I do have a backup of the entire system prior to
19 the update, but it's honestly not worth it to me to keep switching between
20 backup and building packages trying to see which build networkmanager
21 depends on that doesn't catch the necessity to rebuild networkmanager
22 (especially since my system was running unstable code from 6 months ago, and
23 the culprit package may already be fixed).
24
25 So, I just wanted to toss this observation somewhere. If you use
26 networkmanager and have wireless problems after an update, try rebuilding as
27 a first solution!
28
29 If anyone is just dying to know what package upgrade(s) breaks
30 networkmanager, I can consider spending some time on the issue with my
31 backups, but it seems like a very small point for so much effort.
32
33 Regards,
34 daid