From: Yoav Luft <yoav.luft@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kernel Linux 2.6.25-r7 with gentoo patches fail to boot
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:03:32
1 Good afternoon,
2 I have used my weekend to compile a new kernel, but to my dismay the new
3 kernel does not boot. All I get is a black screen, and nothing happens.
4 I compiled the kernel like this:
5 eselect kernel set (the new sources)
6 cd /usr/src/linux
7 make oldconfig
8 (answering various options about new features)
9 make menuconfig (haven't changed much, only made sure that all the modules I
10 new were necessary were included).
11 make && make modules_install
12 mount /boot
13 copied the kernel, reconfigurated grub, and rebooted.
14
15 So, probably, I have set something in kernel incredibly wrong, but I don't
16 know what, or how to find out. My last working kernel is 2.6.25-r7:
17 yoav@yoavhost ~ $ uname -a
18 Linux yoavhost 2.6.25-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP Sat Jul 5 22:33:03 IDT 2008 x86_64
19 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
20
21 how can I find out what I did wrong?