From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why multiple versions of java-config, automake, and autoconf?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 02:49:07
1 On Wednesday 30 May 2007 21:23:00 Denis wrote:
2 > Why are there multiple versions of java-config, autoconf, and
3 > automake shown on my system?
4
5 They are incompatible, slotted, and each slot is individually required (or was
6 at some time).
7
8 > There could be other multi-version
9 > packages... Is this normal for portage that is configured to
10 > autoclean?
11
12 Yes. Autoclean doesn't uninstall versions in a different slot. I'm not sure
13 about depclean.
14
15 > If so, I find it rather interesting that packages would
16 > depend on so many different versions of automake, for instance!
17
18 HA. autohell is that way because there's little backward or forward
19 compatibility. (Well, that and m4.)
22 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
23 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
24 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
25 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/