From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:45:02
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 12 December 2009 21:42:13 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> And some would also argue that cycling power on and off is actually bad
5 >> for the rig as well. Keeping things at a constant temp is better than
6 >> fluctuating temps. The old expanding and contracting of material
7 >> argument. Sort of strange that computers that run a lot last a loooong
8 >> time.
12 > This is perfectly true and a well-proven fact. Thermal recycling is not good
13 > for electronics. It is good for your electricity bill though....
14 >
15 > Tektronix did some proper lab tests many many years ago on their top-of-the-
16 > line oscilloscopes. They found that the calibration interval could be tripled
17 > if the rig was never switched off (just turn down the brightness overnight)
20 I know I have read that several times but I didn't know someone actually
21 tested the thing. I know my BBQ grill would be better off if I could
22 run it all the time. You have to understand, I had this little table
23 top grill that was stainless steel. I have had that thing for ages and
24 I loved it. I could cook some mean steaks and burgers on it. Anyway,
25 it didn't rust through but it just flaked off on the bottom. It is the
26 heating and cooling cycles that does this. I had the same thing happen
27 to a old wood burning heater we had ages ago. It just got old and the
28 metal was thin even tho it wasn't rusted or anything. It sure was
29 lighter going out of the house than it was coming in. It took six to
30 get it in but only two to take it out.
31
32 Isn't there metal in CPUs, memory chips and stuff? I know there is
33 silicone but I assume there is metal like copper or something in there
34 too. They can't like heat cycles either. They are so small nowadays.
35
36 Dale
37