From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fstab mount /home by default
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:57:45
1 On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 01:22:22 -0700, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > On my new installation, I have in my fstab:
4 > /dev/sda5 /home ext4
5 > noatime 0 1
6 >
7 > but on new installation /home doesn't mount by default, why?
8
9 What does syslog say? Is it even trying to mount, or trying and failing?
10 >
11 > On new installation, I created a user without "-m"
12 > useradd -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash thelma
13 >
14 > added to fstab:
15 > /dev/sda5 /home ext4
16 > noatime 0 1
17 >
18 > but it doesn't mount by default.
19 > xfce4 created new entry in /home /thelma
20 > so I deleted the entry /thelma but manual mounting: mount /dev/sda5
21 > /home does not create directory /thelma manually under /home
22 >
23 > When I mount manually /dev/sda5 /home all data is there but but trying
24 > login as user "X" gets a black screen now.
25
26 Your user directory won't be created automatically when mounting.
27 /home/thelma has to exist and be owned by the correct user. Permission
28 errors could be caused by your recreating /home/thelma as root and not
29 changing ownership.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 WINDOWS: Will Install Needless Data On Whole System