From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with all these "acct-group" ebuilds recently?
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 20:36:35
1 On 2020.06.26 16:03, james wrote:
2 > On 6/26/20 12:38 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
3 >> On 6/20/20 7:04 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
4 >>> Thanks for filing the bug.
5 >>
6 >> Gah! I forgot about this!
7 >>
8 >> I filed a bug now, I hope I made it clear enough. Others can pipe in
9 >> there with comments if they like.
10 >>
11 >> I did indicate the two potential proposals to correct the issue in
12 >> the bug itself.
13 >>
14 >> https://bugs.gentoo.org/729752
15 >>
16 >> Dan
17 >
18 > BEFORE I contribute to this bug, I'm posting here to see if others
19 > are or have interest, in my thoughts on this issue and my related
20 > needs for extreme security, via Gentoo. Below is far from complete,
21 > but it only provides a very snippets of my (secure) pathway forward
22 > with Gentoo.
23 >
24 > Interesting thread, thanks to all contributors. I'd like to add 'my
25 > selfish' interest, as they also be espoused by other, more focused,
26 > gentoo users.
27 >
28 > INTRO:
29 >
30 > I rarely build gentoo systems, for many reasons, that are not pretty
31 > singularly focused. It drastically reduces security, performance and
32 > upgrade issues. For me, the days of a any system, having groups or
33 > users, are in the history books of very bad ideas. uP are so cheap
34 > and less than $100, gets you a very 'bad ass' computer (Rasp. Pi 4+)
35 > 16 G map-able ram. Furthermore, SOON, usb_4 devices are going to
36 > obsolete the entire concept of a 'hard drive'; hence the death (my
37 > prediction) of groups and users on multi-USER systems, albeit slowly.
38 >
39 > Multi-function, Multi-tasking, and light weight, focused transient
40 > clusters are the future. YMMV.
43 > So solving a problem, that was real and big, decades ago, fails to
44 > look at the future. For me, Gentoo is future proof. I suggest a well
45 > documented pathway forward; totally without the concept of groups and
46 > users, on a typical, highly secure system. Which is now the baseline
47 > for real systems, particularly with a ipv4 or ipv6 static ip, that
48 > provide focused and highly restricted functionalities. CA servers are
49 > going private, as the public and root CA servers, are suspect, at
50 > best, as to being pristinely secure. Yes boys and girls most
51 > Certificate Authorities are HACK! Even the main root CAs.
52 >
53 > The F. Feds are the original culprits, but now it is a feeding
54 > frenzy. The planet is now hacked, and groups and users concepts are
55 > the past. imho! Danger Will Robinson Danger!
56 >
57 > So can some of the smarter (gentoo) folks illuminate how to totally
58 > avoid groups and users, except for the minimum required, application
59 > specific? For example like serial line tools, or outline a set of
60 > tweaks/setting to avoid these altogether?
61 >
62 > I build embedded G. systems. I build single purpose G systems. I
63 > build security G. systems (often with the ethernet, in only listen
64 > mode. I build G. Firewalls.
65 > I build G. highly restricted/filtered servers. NONE of those need
66 > users or groups. And if they do, I can obfuscate codes to provide
67 > that need, to where filters and focused software gets what it needs
68 > to provide functions.
69 >
70 > Yep, I'm moving to a total 'State_Machine_design' for critical
71 > services. Strip out every thing else.....
72 >
73 > Am I alone, or have/are others contemplating such high secure
74 > pathways? I'd be fantastic to find a kernel hacker that is on the
75 > pathway of extreme minimization too; private email is fine; if that
76 > is in your wheel_house.
79 > curiously alone?,
80 > James
81 While you may not be alone, I do believe you're in a rather small
82 group. There are probably more who are interested in watching it
83 progress than who can actually participate and contribute. And while
84 what you propose may well be part of the future, and it may even be a
85 large part of it, it won't be so anywhere near soon enough to avoid the
86 need to continue to improve current systems, even if the improvements
87 are only usability related, and not directly related to security. This
88 current issue is nothing more than an annoyance, but it's a major
89 annoyance for many Gentoo users, possibly more-so for the more casual
90 users. (Is "casual Gentoo user" an oxymoron?) As the bug proposes,
91 there are ways of solving it without decreasing security.
92
93 Jack