From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] [OT as it gets. Sorry] Windoze 7 and reinstalling error.
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 03:29:09
1 > From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com]
2 > Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 9:43 PM
3 >
4 > Mike Edenfield wrote:
5 > >> From: Dale [mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com]
6 > >> Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 6:39 PM
7 > >>
8 > >> Howdy,
9 > >>
10 > >> I got a neighbour that has a computer issue. First, the hard drive
11 went
12 > >> out. We ordered a new one and installed it. Then he realized he
13 didn't
14 > >> have the restore discs. We ordered those from Gateway. I went up
15 > today
16 > >> and tried to install winders 7 on the new drive. I put the system disc
17 > >> in and it booted. Then it asked for the recovery disc #1. It copied
18 > >> that over then asked for disc 2. After a bit it wanted the Language
19 > >> disc. Then it said to reboot and it spit out the DVD.
20 > >>
21 > >> When it reboots from the hard drive, it comes up and says it is setting
22 > >> up the hardware and it seems to finish it. Then a window pops up and
23 > >> says this:
24 > >>
25 > >> "Windows Setup could not configure windows to run on this computers
26 > >> hardware."
27 > >
28 > > Does this help?
29 > >
30 > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753
31 > >
32 > > You may have accidentially set the new drive in the BIOS as RAID: the KB
33 > > article has steps to find the error logs and get more details.
34 >
35 > Printed that page to try tomorrow. I didn't change anything in the BIOS
36 > tho. It saw the drive right off. I even used the same cable and power
37 > plug as the old drive so it sees them as C: or whatever.
38 >
39 > I bet it has something to do with AHCI or IDE settings tho. I hope that
40 > is it. After I get the install done, I can then upgrade the drivers and
41 > switch it back.
42
43 Make sure you check the ACHI setting before you install Windows: it's a pain
44 in the butt to change the settings later because Windows disables the ACHI
45 driver if it's not in use, and you have to manually re-enable it or your
46 boot will fail. (Kinda like having to enable the module for your root
47 drive). Of course, if you get it wrong you just lose some performance but
48 it's easy enough to just check first :)
51 --Mike