From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:53:19
1 On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I am using svn to update a repository. Somebody added files to the
6 > repository with weird characters in the filename. SVN refuses to
7 > update the respository unless I first:
8 >
9 > export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
10 >
11 > I don't know or really care what that mumbo jumbo means, but I would
12 > like an answer to this question:
13 >
14 > Is my gentoo system properly setup? If not, what step did I miss that
15 > is causing svn to want me to export LC_CTYPE?
16 >
17 > I suspect either my gentoo system is messed up or svn is messed up.
20 Sparing you the details as requested: In general, you want to be using
21 a locale that ends with ".UTF-8" to avoid encoding issues with
22 software like python and subversion.
23
24 The handbook documents setting a system-wide default locale. You
25 generally do this by setting the LANG variable in
26 /etc/conf.d/02locale.
27
28 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=8#doc_chap3_sect3