From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11, $VIDEO_CARDS & binary packages
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:39:31
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 15:40:39 -0300
4 "Daniel da Veiga" <danieldaveiga@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > Maybe I'm wrong, but binary packages are BINARY (-k), so, you can't
7 > change their USE, because they're already compiled, they'll use the
8 > flags that were used by the time the package was created. If you
9 > install it creating binaries (FEATURES="buildpkg" emerge xorg-x1) now
10 > with another USE or emerge it and create the binaries after it
11 > (quickpkg), then you may get what you want when you try and reinstall
12 > it.
13 >
14 > Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm using logic here, not
15 > exactly empiric knowledge ;)
16
17 But it's right :-). Even if xorg-x11 may be a "meta" package, it's a
18 package, after all. And thus it's set of USE flags (and those
19 additional configuration vars that are listed in verbose output of
20 emerge) was *fixed* when the binary was created. That makes perfectly
21 sense -- if you want it to get rebuild, don't use -k. And it's a meta
22 package, it does download nothing at all. So having a binary of it
23 doesn't make much sense if there's a very heterogenous number of
24 clients that make use of the binaries. For restoring the machine that
25 built the binaries, however, it makes perfectly sense (as long as
26 hardware doesn't change).
27
28 -hwh
29 --