From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:56:06
1 On Wed, 26 Aug 2015, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2
3 > The main benefit is reduced compile times for some packages since I only
4 > compile the 64-bit versions, less stuff on the filesystem, etc. If you
5 > do not run any applications that use a 32-bit version of a library, that
6 > library is taking up disk space and compile time, but is never used.
7
8 The multilib profiles do not enable ABI_X86="32" by default so the default
9 setup is to only build the 64-bit versions of everything. These profiles
10 give you the _option_ to build both 32-bit and 64-bit things.
11
12 The only things multilib by default on a multlib profile are pretty much
13 glibc and gcc.
14
15 > I also am a bit of a purist, and just run no-multilib because it is
16 > emotionally satisfying.
17
18 The above reasons would make emotional satisfaction and purity the only
19 reasons to go down this road. Doesn't mean they're not valid :)