From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Opinions on DVR/PVR backend?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:53:12
1 On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Pre-transocoding from MPEG-2 TS to MPEG-4 h264 would be nice.
7 So, that is a downside with Plex. I don't think you get that level of
8 fine-grained control. You can't just pick the codec and features.
9 You pick the target platform (optimize for Android, or a generic
10 Optimize for "Mobile", etc), and you pick the resolution/bitrate from
11 a list of presets. I'm not sure how easy it is to tweak the actual
12 settings, though maybe it is possible.
13
14 On MythTV the transcoder isn't exactly super-flexible either.
15
16 On either platform you could also do your own transcoding. With
17 MythTV the regular player tends to be pretty picky about how files are
18 encoded (at least it used to be). Plex will play just about anything
19 you throw at it.
22 > One open question is handling of closed-captioning in ATSC recordings.
23 > Results with Plex seem to be mixed.
26 I've found captions mostly work, but I don't use them much, and I
27 haven't used the DVR functionality. I couldn't tell you how well they
28 work with ATSC. The bigger pain is the way they're encoded into
29 shows. If they're done right you can do things like have captions
30 only for foreign language phrases (works great in Star Trek
31 Discovery). If the subtitles aren't set up the way it expects then
32 you find yourself constantly turning them on/off when the show
33 contains extensive use of foreign/fictional languages. I suspect the
34 issue is more in my source material there, though I can't vouch for
35 how well it works over ATSC. With ATSC I'd think that foreign
36 language subtitles would be more likely to be burned in anyway.
39 Rich