From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mail server administration
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:59:59
1 > On 8 Nov 2016, at 11:12, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Why are you even trying to do this yourself? I do this for a living and
4 > I can tell you it's a pain in the butt you don't want (*I* don't even
5 > want it, I shove mail services off onto other teams as fast as I can get
6 > them to take it…)
7
8 I want one or two IMAP accounts, and storage for several GB of mail.
9
10 I believe Gmail creates its own special mailboxes for things like "labels" and archived messages, which I dislike. And Google is fucking creepy about the amount of data it openly stores about you, anyway.
11
12 I want to receive mail from multiple domains, and route it into my IMAP boxes as I wish. I want to be able to create as many addresses at each domain as I like (e.g. gentoo-user@××××××××.com, amazon-orders@××××××××.com and so on).
13
14 My assumption would have been that any off-the-shelf mail provider is going to be less flexible than I desire, charge me extra for each domain I want to host, limit the number of addresses I can have, and require me to administer it all through a clunky or idiosyncratic web interface.
15
16 I understand that being a professional mail administrator for thousands or hundreds of thousands of mailboxes must be a headache, but I'd have thought that the job would be a lot easier if you're receiving mail for only one or a few people.
17
18 I would have though that accepting all DKIM-signed mail would enable me to receive messages from anyone with a Hotmail, Gmail or Yahoo account. Then I would think allow all mail from other domains more than a year old - I wouldn't have thought it'd be too onerous for me to blacklist by domain spammers who meet that criteria. Maybe whitelisting the odd new domain would be necessary sometimes.
19
20 I appreciate mine may be a very naive view of the problems of mail hosting, but someone who wants to host mail for themselves is coming at things from a very different position than you are.
21
22 Stroller.