From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old kernels are installed during the upgrade
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 19:26:54
1 > On 2 Jan 2018, at 11:54, Kruglov Sergey <kr_serge@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Now I have gentoo-sources-4.14.8-r1 installed.
4 > After "emerge --ask --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse @world" command emerge installs old kernel in NS (after first update 4.12.12, after second update 4.9.49-r1).
5 > How can I fix it?
6 > There is sys-kernel/gentoo-sources in my world set.
7
8 Remove sys-kernel/gentoo-sources from your world file - I believe you can do this using the emerge command, but am unsure of the right syntax; you can just edit /var/lib/portage/world and delete the appropriate line.D
9
10 Now `emerge -n =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.14.8-r1` - "This option can be used to update the world file without rebuilding the packages."
11
12 This pins your kernel version at 4.14.8-r1 and you can update when, in future, you decide it's time to update your kernel, without being nagged about it every time a new version is release or you emerge world.
13
14 For this reason it's always best to emerge kernels with an equals sign, pinning them at some specific version, IMO.
15
16 This suggestion may provoke responses that the kernel is important and you should update it to ensure you get security updates - look at the attack vectors, you're probably sitting behind a NAT router, with very few ports exposed to the internet.
17
18 It's adequate to update your kernel every 3 months.
19
20 Stroller.