From: Charly <charlyghislain@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no more NV_SATA, etc support in kernel?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:45:58
1 On Wednesday 30 November 2005 17:22, maxim wexler wrote:
2 > Hello everybody,
3
4 hi!
5 >
6 > I note NV_SATA, SIL_SATA, CONFIG_FORCEDETH and
7 > whatever other options are no longer offered in make
8 > menuconfig for the stage3 tarballed kernel 2.6.12-r6
9 > or for the latest 2.6.14-r2. These are precisely the
10 > options my board, Asus K8NE w/nVidia and Sil3114,
11 > requires for SATA drives and the onboard ethernet.
12 >
13 > When the PC boots, and it _does_ boot off /dev/sda2,
14 > it can't detect /dev/sda6 where / lives and crashes
15 > just at the point of detecting it:
16 > ...
17 > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" or
18 > unknown-block(0,0)
19 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
20 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root
21 > fs on unknown-block(0,0)
22 >
23 > Ah, but those very drivers are in the kernel used by
24 > the LiveCD to boot. Plus, they're part of the config
25 > file it uses.
26 >
27 > What gives? I note the config options include
28 > CONFIG_SCSI_SATA under low-level SCSI drivers; is that
29 > all that's required.
30 >
31 > Also a very curious file in /usr/portage/distfiles:
32 > NVIDIA-Linux-x86-10=6626-pkg1.run. Anybody know what
33 > this is for? No ebuilds correspond to it as far as I
34 > can tell although it must be part of some package or
35 > other.
36 I cant help you for your SATA problem, but this file seems to be an nvidia
37 linux drivers installer. Its used buy nvidia-kernel or nvidia-glx to allow
38 full 3D acceleration in X with an nvidia card.
42 > -mw
48 > Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
49 > http://mail.yahoo.com
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list