From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The return of the dreaded "Cannot run C compiled programs"
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 15:53:50
1 On 03/26/2018 07:19 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > I have a four-core 64-bit Celeron box with 4GB RAM, on which I've just
3 > installed a standard XFCE system on the desktop profile. It all went as
4 > expected, but when I ran an emerge -e world at the end I had two failures:
5 > both glibc and sandbox failed with the error in the subject line.
6 >
7 > It's some years since I last saw this error, and I'm stuck. I've looked
8 > through /etc hoping to find something skew-whiff, and I've compared the
9 > environment with this box's, but nothing stands out.
10 >
11 > Finally, following the hint in the portage output, I ran "FEATURES='-sandbox -
12 > usersandbox' emerge -1 --color n sandbox". It made no discernible difference.
13 >
14 > I've attached the logs etc from sandbox.
15 >
16 > Has anyone a clue?
17
18 Are you using gcc-6.4.0-r1?
19 When compiling large packages change in make.conf MAKEOPTS="-j1"
20
21 I had happen twice to me.
22 It seems to me the gcc-6.4.0-r1 much more resource hungry or there is
23 a bug in it.
26 Thelma