From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: One hard drive much slower for some reason.
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 13:12:56
1 You could still be looking at a hardware failure situation here.
2
3 I have seen hard drives with absolutely perfect SMART attributes pass
4 all the tests but still show the classic signs of a hard drive
5 beginning to fail. A significant slowdown is one of those signs.
6
7 What I would suggest is that you find some way to observe the hard
8 drive over a long period of time at considerable load. If there is a
9 problem, eventually it will show up in the SMART attributes.
10
11 It's not an ideal solution, and your problem may not be hardware
12 failure, but it would be a good idea to rule that out before pursuing
13 any other diagnostic methodologies.