From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: openssl upgrade may miss some needed rebuilds
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2016 19:11:21
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > >> They changed ABI without changing SONAME, which is an absolutely
5 > >> braid-dead thing for upstream to do, because it causes exactly this
6 > >> kind of breakage.
7 > >
8 > > Hmmmm. I've been working on my ebuild and end-o-mentoring quizes:: so in
9 > > that vein, should not the gentoo dev have bumped the gentoo rev
10 > > numbers, or did I miss-read the gentoo docs?
13 > So, first, this isn't really the forum to critique what the devs did,
14 > and I haven't spoken to them so I can't vouch for what their knowledge
15 > was at the time.
16
17 Excuse me, but I did not criticize anyone. I *appreciate* what the devs do;
18 in fact so much, I've started down that path myself. As one who has put
19 together dozens of ebuilds, but few published, I greatly appreciated their
20 work and the opportunity to learn from all mistakes, mine and the devs.
21 Besides, I'm not a dev, so what forum would be more appropriate to question
22 and learn about ebuilds and booboos? So please appreciated that thge focus
23 of my questions, *are to learn* with a robust discussion, as I do intend to
24 seek dev_status one day. Are 'users' discouraged from breaking down
25 package/ebuild issues in this forum? If so, which forum can I ask questions,
26 even the dumb ones?
29 > Revbumping wouldn't help, and I'm pretty sure they did revbump it.
30 > The real issue was upstream, and I'd have to think about whether
31 > trying to fix it with a Gentoo patch would make things better or worse
32 > (it would make Gentoo different from everybody else, causing havoc if
33 > you had a proprietary binary you wanted to run and so on).
34
35 One of the dev-quiz questions is about how long to leave a package in
36 testing, with 30 days being the minimum, unless there is critical need,
37 or have I not correctly understood the docs and devmanual? Again, I have no
38 idea how long this package was in 'testing' but, this does sound like an
39 excellent opportunity for fledgling devs to learn a bit deeper? My
40 intentions are only based on the good for this distro, but, close
41 examination, at least for me, is highly warranted.
44 So what commands do I run (git style) to see the history of the relevant
45 build/release dates for openssl? The changelog seems incomplete....
48 > Upstream really dropped the ball on this. When I'm updating packages
49 > I certainly don't carefully review all their ABIs and SONAMEs.
50 > Without some kind of automatic QA tool it would be a pretty big
51 > undertaking. I might go see if there is such a tool though, maybe
52 > that might be a good outcome if such a tool exists.
53
54 > >> Everybody should be on the lookout for this update and carefully
55 > >> follow the forum post instructions to get through it. Again, in
56 > >> light of the dev-quizes, should not the package maintainer have
57 > >> posted a news item prior/simultaneously to the new package release?
58
59 > Sure, if they had known about it. However, it sounds like they may
60 > have been as surprised as anybody else. I'd really like to see one
61 > right away though.
64 Thanks! Good answer and now I'll have to go an edited/update my dev quiz
66 touches so many packages, is warranted. Excellent, concrete example. One of
67 the things I have been working on, is supplying more details examples to the
68 devmanual current editor, just like this one, to reinforce the key
69 principles of the devmanual. I think some kind of footnotes to lots of
70 practical examples, is *exactly what the dev manual is missing* imho.
73 > The way openssl handles their ABIs really makes me think that libressl
74 > may not be the lesser evil. Sloppy SONAME handling causes all kinds
75 > of issues though and seeing it in high-profile projects like these is
76 > pretty concerning.
77
78 Good to know. In fact gentoo supports such a wide variety of libs so all of
79 this information, in a practical example, is very valuable imho.
82 > > Not trying to stir things up, just scratching many itches here on the
83 > > dev-quizes. Surely we are all human(oid) and thus forgiving of our
84 > > comrades....even to the point of encouragement?
85
86 > Of course. To err is human. To stabilize errs carries the death
87 > penalty. :) (I'm sure somebody will file that away for the next
88 > stable package I break.)
89
90 Easy on being so critical, either for others or yourself. I've been hacking
91 on ebuilds for almost a year now, and there is good reason quite a few
92 of mine are still not published....... Besides this is excellent evidence
93 for CI (Jenkins + Gerrit) ? Are you not a proponent of CI for Gentoo?
94 That's a common and ordinary usage for clusters these days.....
97 I do appreciate the information and candor!
100 be at peace,
101 James