From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: CRTs and EDID (was: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody want to beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:55:16
1 On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 1:21 AM, <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Contrary to the FUD I've heard, X works just fine, thank you, without an
3 > xorg.conf.  Modern flatscreens with EDID info are set up automatically.  I
4 > suppose that old CRT monitors without EDID info might require xorg.conf,
5 > but that's "exotic hardware" nowadays.
6
7 Just an FYI, EDID blocks have been part of CRT tech since the mid to
8 late 90s; it's the basis of "plug & play" monitors.
9
10 IIRC, the EDID block is transported via DDC, which is essentially I2C
11 implemented on top of your VGA cable. I've got three EDID-supporting,
12 19" 1600x1200 CRTs staring me in the face right now.
13
14 https://plus.google.com/108080062547354628132/posts/ZLLw66eL4We
17 :wq