From: Mickey Mullin <mickey@×××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] use flags, mplayer, lame
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:52:25
1 On 22/03/06, hawat.thufir@×××××.com <hawat.thufir@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > As I think about this more, it seems that, for example, I might just
3 > install lame directly with portage. In that case, it'd be up to mplayer
4 > to recognize lame's presence, yes? However, with the use flags, mplayer
5 > is compiled with lame?
6 >
7 > However, if another application is *also* installed with lame as a use
8 > flag, that'd be redundant. Or, not? They would both recursively install
9 > lame, with lame known to both mplayer and the second app?
10
11 Lame would only be emerged one time.
12
13 Use flags determine one or both of two things:
14 1) which packages and of what versions should be present on the system
15 to support the desired new/updated package, and
16 2) what options (make config, I think) should be used when compiling
17 those packages.
18
19 You are concentrating on number one, above.
20
21 For example, emerging PHP with the "cgi" use flag creates the PHP CGI
22 binary, while the "apache2" flag will create the (forget the correct
23 name) in-process library for Apache2. Similarly, if MySQL is aleady
24 installed, but the "-mysql" flag is used, the PHP libraries for
25 communicating with MySQL will not be created.
26
27 Having done that, subsequently emerging phpmysql will not re-emerge
28 Apache OR PHP, even though they are both requirements. However, I
29 don't know what would actually happen, since the scenario above would
30 have you with PHP on your system but without its being able to access
31 MySQL...
32
33 Best,
34 Mickey Mullin