From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 16:00:19
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 2:34 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 5:12 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Neil Bothwick wrote:
6 >>>>> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 15:59:02 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
7 >>>>>
8 >>>>>>> One reason I use LastPass, it is mobile. I can go to someone else's
9 >>>>>>> computer, use LastPass to say make use of Paypal, Newegg, Ebay etc,
10 >>>>>>> logoff and it is like I was never there.
11 >>>>>> As much as I like Lastpass I would never do that. It isn't magic - it
12 >>>>>> is javascript. If there is a compromise on your computer, then your
13 >>>>>> password database will be compromised. This is true of other
14 >>>>>> solutions like KeePassX and so on - if something roots your box then
15 >>>>>> it will be compromised.
16 >>>> I might point out, LastPass encrypts the password before sticking it in
17 >>>> a file. It isn't visible or plain text. Even getting the file would
18 >>>> still require some tools and cracking to get the password itself.
19 >>> That assumes you're attacking the password file directly.
20 >>>
21 >>> If you're using lastpass on a compromised system then there are many
22 >>> ways that can be used to bypass the encryptions. They could sniff
23 >>> your master password when you key it in, or read it directly from the
24 >>> browser's memory. These things are protected from sandboxed code in
25 >>> your browser, but not from processes running outside the browser
26 >>> (unless again you're using a non-conventional privilege system like
27 >>> selinux/android/etc).
28 >> One could argue the same thing with any password tool out there tho,
29 >> right?
30 > Of course. This is by no means specific to Lastpass. I wasn't
31 > reacting to your use of Lastpass (I use it myself). I was reacting to
32 > your statement that you can go to someone else's computer and use
33 > lastpass on that computer and then log off and it is as if you were
34 > never there.
35
36 What I meant was, they couldn't use it without knowing my password.
37 Sure, I may leave something, like LastPass installed but disabled, on
38 their computer but no one can use it without it being logged in.  Once I
39 logout and close the browser, that pretty much ends the session.  Most
40 sites I visit are not set to remember me anyway and some don't allow
41 it.  I also logout before leaving a site especially when I'm on a
42 computer other than mine.  So, once I logout, they can't login as me
43 without my password.  We sort of went in different directions.
44
45 If I really wanted to, I could use some bootable media like Knoppix.  I
46 think it comes with Firefox already installed. I could boot that,
47 install LastPass, do my thing, reboot into the OS and not have to worry
48 about anything they have installed at all.  I do keep copies of those
49 around and try to update every once in a while.  I certainly keep
50 sysrescue up to date.  I don't think it has a browser tho.  It may but
51 I'm not sure.
54 >> Given I only install things from
55 >> trusted sources, the odds of that happening are likely very small.
56 > Not if you go typing your Lastpass master password into computers
57 > owned by people who aren't as careful as you are...
58 >
59 > If you do want the benefits of a password manager on an untrusted
60 > computer then you might want to look into the hardware/USB-based
61 > solutions, or alternatives like U2F and so on.
62 >
63 > Now, you're still vulnerable to MITM attacks and so on against the
64 > sites you're actually logging into, but your credentials for other
65 > sites would not be at risk since they stay on the hardware device,
66 > which is going to be hardened against USB attacks (well, at least you
67 > hope it would be). If you're using conventional passwords then of
68 > course something could still sniff that password since it has to pass
69 > through the untrusted computer. If you're using OTPs or U2F/etc then
70 > you may still be vulnerable to some cookie-based attacks and MITM and
71 > so on, but if you log off at the end of your session that at least
72 > limits their duration.
73 >
74 > Personally I would like to switch to a hardware-based solution, but
75 > they have their own set of downsides:
76 >
77 > 1. Less convenience - you have to physically have the device on you
78 > (I don't carry my keys around in the hosue/etc), and plug it in when
79 > you want to use it.
80 > 2. Recovery options aren't always great. Often these devices don't
81 > really have their own recovery solution, and you're stuck following
82 > the recovery options on each individual site. Many of these are
83 > pretty lousy.
84 > 3. Often no support for multiple hardware devices (and keeping them
85 > in sync). Again you're stuck with what individual sites allow, and
86 > many sites don't let you have multiple hardware tokens registered.
87 > 4. Lack of convenience features like auto-changing passwords. Some
88 > software-based solutions have this. Though, to be honest, I rarely
89 > trust these because if something goes wrong I could lose account
90 > access and this can be difficult or impossible to recover from in many
91 > situations.
92 >
93 > A big advantage (and disadvantage) of the software-based solutions is
94 > that they're just data files and you can back them up trivially.
95 >
96 > Really though a lot of this boils down to the fact that PKI is a hard
97 > problem without a trusted and convenient mediator, and this largely
98 > doesn't exist in the world of free online services.
101 This is what was mentioned in another post.  No matter what we use, it
102 is a trade off.  While it may be rare that I need it, I like the idea of
103 my passwords being stored somewhere that can be available if I'm
104 somewhere else or my computer blows a gasket.  No matter what is used,
105 there is some risk involved unless we don't use a computer at all.
106 Heck, even having a computer that is unplugged from the internet can
107 still have security issues.  At one point, that used to be a option but
108 then you have to bring media in for updates or other data to be added.
109 If it is compromised, well, there you go.
110
111 I saw a link on a link posted here that lists password tools on the wiki
112 thing.  LastPass and one other that is dead now was the only two that
113 seemed to fit what I like having.  Given that the other is no longer a
114 option, LastPass is the only one that works like I want it too.  Now
115 later on something better may come along but for the moment, LastPass is
116 the set of trade-offs that has to be dealt with.  Some of that is
117 because I just don't have time to try to figure out how to store things
118 encrypted on USB sticks and such as well.  I still haven't had time to
119 play with the kodi thing for my videos either.
120
121 Of course, right now, I'm just trying to generate a good master
122 password.  I'd like to test the thing a bit but most tools just aren't
123 up to the task.  Since the NSA saves all our emails, maybe they will
124 offer some help.  Howdy you nosy things.  lol  You enjoying our password
125 talks?
126
127 Dale
128