From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compiling first and then installing using -K
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 18:06:53
1 On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:02 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > > On 17/02/2020 10:26, Dale wrote:
5 > >> I ran into a issue with qt upgrades and it got interesting. Since it
6 > >> was part way through, some applications that I needed wouldn't open due
7 > >> to a mismatch in versions. [...]
8 > >>
9 > >> !!! --buildpkgonly requires all dependencies to be merged.
10 > >> !!! Cannot merge requested packages. Merge deps and try again.
11 > >>
12 > >> So, I have to emerge packages in order to emerge others. I get that
13 > >> packages depend on each other but is there a way around that?
14 > > You'd need to maintain two gentoo installs (A and B) with the same
15 > > exact configuration with B serving as the build machine. Then you'd
16 > > emerge the packages in B, make binary packages out of every package,
17 > > and then emerge those in A.
23 > Would a chroot work for that? I'm pretty sure it would but want to be
24 > certain before I set all that up. I'm pretty sure I can dig around and
25 > find a hard drive somewhere.
26 >
27 > While at it, I wouldn't want grub or anything to pick it up. Since grub
28 > does so much automatically, would it "detect" that install or would it
29 > ignore it?
30 >
31 > Thanks.
32 >
33 > Dale
34 >
35 > Virtualbox should do it. Easy to maintain, easy to delete when your done.
36 > It will create a virtual disk using space on your current system so no
37 > requirement for a new drive. You can take images for backup if you ever
38 > decide you need that.
41 Gentoo is very happy in a VB VM.
44 Mark