From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rename /dev/nvme0n1 to /dev/sda
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2017 17:59:08
1 >> My new laptop uses /dev/nvme0n1 instead of /dev/sda which conflicts
2 >> with the script I use to manage about 12 similar laptops running
3 >> Gentoo. Is there a udev method for renaming the disk that will work
4 >> well with any USB disks that happen to also be attached?
5 >>
6 >> crw------- 1 root root 252, 0 Aug 31 11:34 /dev/nvme0
7 >> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 0 Aug 31 11:34 /dev/nvme0n1
8 >> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 1 Aug 31 11:34 /dev/nvme0n1p1
9 >> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 259, 2 Aug 31 11:34 /dev/nvme0n1p2
10 >
11 > Isn't so much easier to use labels? Those are automatically available on
12 > /dev/disk/by-label, and you can use them in basically any type of partition,
13 > including Windows (NTFS and vfat) and swaps.
16 Do labels work with root= in grub and stuff like dd, fdisk, and mkfs?
17
18 - Grant