From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Please explain X fonts?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 10:52:01
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 03/26/2015 07:15 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 >
5 > <snip all questions I can't answer>
6 >
7 >> When I do a control-right-click on an xterm to manipulate fonts, the
8 >> xterm crashes.
9 >
10 > I had the same problem once. IIRC, strace showed me that xterm was trying
11 > to load the "default" font but there was no value set for "default".
12 >
13 > Somehow I managed to set the "default" font, but I can't remember how it
14 > did it. Maybe someone else can supply details?
15
16 My xterm shows that it's using the default font. I would guess that the
17 default might be set through .Xresources or through command line
18 parameters.
21 There's not much explanation here, the following just works for me:
24 AFAIK, the font names are case sensitive. For .Xresources:
27 xterm*FaceName: xft:Source Code Pro:pixelsize=14:style=Regular
30 You can also use 'xterm -fa "LucidaTypewriter-16"', see man xterm.
31
32 Support for truetype must be compiled into xterm (x11-terms/xterm
33 truetype). If you use fvwm with tt-fonts, also use 'truetype'.
36 As to fonts, I highly recommend "Source Code Pro" and "Source Sans Pro".
37 They finally resolved my long search for good fonts. Unfortunately,
38 they don't come with Gentoo. I copied them over from a Fedora
39 installation, so you might be able to extract them from their RPMs.
40
41 I haven't been able to create them from their sources, though. It
42 requires some special program which didn't work. Maybe someone knows
43 how to do that?
46 And for emacs, in .Xressources:
49 Emacs.FontBackend: xft
52 and in .emacs:
55 (custom-set-faces
56 ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
57 ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
58 ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
59 ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
60 '(default ((t (:inherit nil :stipple nil :background "black" :foreground "green" :inverse-video nil :box nil :strike-through nil :overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 120 :width normal :foundry "adobe" :family "Source Code Pro"))))
61 '(font-lock-comment-delimiter-face ((t (:inherit font-lock-comment-face :foreground "deep sky blue"))))
62 '(font-lock-comment-face ((t (:foreground "goldenrod"))))
63 '(font-lock-warning-face ((t (:inherit error :foreground "DarkSlateGray1")))))
66 with:
69 app-editors/emacs X athena Xaw3d xft -gtk -motif tookit-scroll-bars gif imagemagick jpeg png svg tiff xpm gnutls gzip-el inotify libxml2 wide-int
72 To show which fonts are installed, there's 'fc-list'. When you want
73 user specific fonts, put them into ~/.config/fonts/ and run 'fc-cache'.
77 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
78 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.