From: Daniel Barkalow <barkalow@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how thorough is #emerge --sync?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 20:54:43
1 On Thu, 19 Oct 2006, Darren Kirby wrote:
2
3 > Quoth the Bo Ørsted Andresen
4 > > On Wednesday 18 October 2006 23:35, Darren Kirby wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Actually it doesn't assume anything. It simply means that you accept any
7 > > package that includes the ~x86 keyword..
8 >
9 > Sheesh. Sorry for the passive tense.
10 >
11 > In what I wrote above: "media-sound/dir2ogg ~x86", as it pertains to the task
12 > Max needs to do to get a newer version, I am assuming Max is running an x86
13 > ARCH...
14
15 I think he was trying to point out that ~x86 will give you a newer version
16 of dir2ogg even if you're running PPC or something else. It's not a good
17 idea, because it could give you a known-broken-on-PPC version that's in
18 testing for x86 (if there were such a version) or not give you a testing
19 version for PPC known to be broken on x86, but portage doesn't
20 fundamentally care whether your keywords actually make any sense together.
21
22 -Daniel
23 *This .sig left intentionally blank*