From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OS inaccessable after brief uptime in X
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:53:15
1 On Saturday 28 November 2009 22:53:52 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I keep having a problem where the OS becomes inaccessable after
3 > running in X for a while. I haven't noticed a time pattern yet but it
4 > doesn't take long sometimes.
5 >
6 > Today I started from an OFF machine, booted up, started X did a few
7 > things A few minutes later I attempted to login via ssh from a remote
8 > laptop down stairs. The os is inaccessable via ssh, or port 25 (its
9 > also a mailhup for home lan).
10 >
11 > Went back to the actual machine and it is inaccessable from console as
12 > well.
13 >
14 > It's happened repeatedly now for a week or two, but I've been busy with
15 > other stuff, and if I need it running I've just left it in console
16 > mode.
17 >
18 > The problem apparently does not occur in console mode.
19 >
20 > I see no problem when starting X and I see nothing in
21 > /var/log/messages that gives a clue about what is happening.
22 >
23 > I'm running fairly up to date Desktop profile on kernel:
24 >
25 > (uname -a)
26 > Linux reader 2.6.31-gentoo-r4_rdr-5 #6 SMP
27 > Wed Nov 4 09:19:17 CST 2009 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R)
28 > CPU 3.06GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
29 >
30 > I'm not sure how to track down the problem since I'm not seeing any
31 > give away clues in /var/log/messages
32 >
33 > So far, once the lockup has happened it appears there is no way in
34 > other than the reboot switch.
35
36 Looks like you need more info for a diagnosis. Unfortunately this is a hit and
37 miss game as we don't have much clue what's going on. The lack of anything
38 valuable in /var/log/messages seems to indicate that either a) no syslog
39 messages were generated (common with client apps) or b) there is a message but
40 the system locks up before it can be flushed to disk.
41
42 Some ideas:
43
44 Set up an ssh session to the offending machine from a different machine that
45 is permanently on. Wait for the problem to occur and see if anything got
46 printed on the ssh console.
47
48 Set up a syslogger on a remote machine and send all your logs to it. If that
49 produces nothing, try having the local syslogger replicate ~/.xsession-errors
50 to the remote logger. I often find that remote logging manages to keep working
51 after the local disk has given up.
52
53 Obviously, these are long range diagnosis techniques and you have to be
54 patient. "emerge -e world" will take around 24 hours and may well fix your
55 problem, but not tell you what the cause was.
58 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com