From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo & GRUB help
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 01:27:57
1 Happy new year!
2
3 On Mon, 2007-12-31 at 11:16 -0800, BRM wrote:
4 [snip]
5 > The system is set to boot off of /dev/hdb2 (ext2) and use /dev/hdb1 as
6 > the root. I believe the boot device is hd1,1 in grub terminology.
7
8 yep!
9
10 > The system has 3 hard drives: hda, hdb, and sda; as well as a dvd drive
11 > (hdc).
12 >
13 > /dev/hdb2 has the following structure:
14 > - list of all my Slackware kernels
15 > - gentoo/bzImage
16 > - gentoo/bzImage_2-6-23-gentoo-r3
17 > - grub/
18 >
19 > Below is my grub.conf (minus comment lines):
20
21 looks fine to me!
22
23 [snip]
24 > All seems well. It boots and presents the menu, but then can't find the
25 > kernel when I select "Gentoo Linux" or try to manually run the lines. I
26 > tried using "find" at the grub command prompt during the boot process,
27 > but it couldn't find it either. I haven't tried the Slackware kernel
28 > yet, as I am mostly concerned about the Gentoo kernel.
29
30 have you tried grubs completion? if you type "kernel (hd1,1)/" and then
31 <tab> it should try and complete the line for you. (from the grub
32 command prompt, once you've booted into the grub shell) It could be
33 possible that your bios / grub have swapped the drive assignment around
34 during boot. Try all your (hdx,y) combinations with grub completion
35 until you find one that has /gentoo on it.
36
37 > Note: I am using LVM2 under this Gentoo install - but not for /boot or
38 > /.
39
40 it shouldn't interfere with /boot or /
41
42 > What am I missing?
43
44 don't know, hope my hints can help.
48 Schapiro's Explanation:
49 The grass is always greener on the other side -- but that's
50 because they use more manure.
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list