From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which Java Runtime is "best"?
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 16:39:28
1 On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 10:24:57 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > I haven't seen an interesting site using Java for a long while. I
5 > recently stumbled across http://discover.itsc.uah.edu/amsutemps/ and
6 > decided it would be nice to actually view it. I haven't had Java on
7 > my machines for a long while. There are a few Java implementations
8 > available (Sun/Blackdown/IBM/BEA/Kaffe/others?), so my question is...
9 >
10 > - which one gives the least trouble setting up and running?
11 >
12 > Since I'm only going to be using it a few times a month, I'm not too
13 > worried about benchmarks, unless an implementation is excruciatingly
14 > slow.
15 >
16 > I only need a runtime. I don't know the programming language, so
17 > there's no need for a full-blown development environment.
20 Take Sun JRE. In terms of headaches per month, the quasi standard
21 implementation is unbeatable.