From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to create a pgp signature
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:27:48
1 Jason Ausmus schreef:
2 >> -----Original Message----- From: Alexander Skwar
3 >> [mailto:listen@×××××××××××××××.name] Sent: Sunday, November 20,
4 >> 2005 3:48 AM To: gentoo-user@l.g.o Subject: Re:
5 >> [gentoo-user] how to create a pgp signature
6 >>
7 >> You're answer was to a different question.
10 > Whose answer was to a different question?
13 >> Ralph Slooten schrieb:
16 >>> gpg --gen-key
17 >>
18 >> Wrong.
21 >>>> can anybody tell me methode to create my own pgp signature?
22 >>
23 >> That's the question.
26 > Was the answer Ralph gave not correct? I don't understand what
27 > you're trying to say...
30 >> Alexander Skwar
31 >>
32 >> Posting out-of-order makes it easy to follow context.
35 Alexander may have been complaining about the top-posting, or maybe the
36 OP was not completely clear in the question, or maybe Ralph
37 misunderstood the difference between a /key pair/ and a /signature/:
38
39 gpg --help
40
41 Syntax: gpg [options] [files]
42 sign, check, encrypt or decrypt
43 default operation depends on the input data
44
45 Commands:
46
47 ==> -s, --sign [file] make a signature
48 --clearsign [file] make a clear text signature
49 -b, --detach-sign make a detached signature
50 -e, --encrypt encrypt data
51 -c, --symmetric encryption only with symmetric cipher
52 -d, --decrypt decrypt data (default)
53 --verify verify a signature
54 --list-keys list keys
55 --list-sigs list keys and signatures
56 --check-sigs list and check key signatures
57 --fingerprint list keys and fingerprints
58 -K, --list-secret-keys list secret keys
59 ==> --gen-key generate a new key pair
60 --delete-keys remove keys from the public keyring
61 --delete-secret-keys remove keys from the secret keyring
62 --sign-key sign a key
63
64 So if the question really does relate to creating a signature, Ralph was
65 wrong. If the question was wrong, and a key pair needs to be generated
66 in order to sign something, then Ralph was right.
67
68 However, other than pointing this out by the simple expedient of
69 confusing everyone further, Alexander's reply was less than helpful,
70 since it neither pointed out why the answer given was presumably not
71 correct, or provided a correct answer if the answer given was in fact
72 not correct.
73
74 Awaiting more data in order to answer /your/ question, Jason (can not
75 compute).....
76
77 .... but everybody could just read the man page and work it out for
78 themselves, of course :) .
79
80 Holly
81 --