From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] iscsitarget or targetcli?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:18:21
1 On 29/01/15 11:25, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I want to set up an iSCSI server (target in iSCSI terminology) running on
5 > Gentoo.
6 > Does anyone know which of the following 2 are better:
7 > - sys-block/iscsitarget
8 > - sys-block/targetcli
9 >
10 > Both don't seem to have had an update for over 2 years, but targetcli seems to
11 > be just the config-tool for whatever is in current kernels where, I think,
12 > iscsitarget is a userspace daemon?
13 >
14 > Many thanks,
15 >
16 > Joost
19 Hi,
20
21 sys-block/iscsitarget is composed of a kernel module and a userspace
22 daemon, both compiled and installed by the ebuild.
23
24 I would second the recommendation for SCST, which is actively developed
25 and in my experience is quite more stable and tends to recover better
26 from unexpected events than sys-block/iscsitarget (I have used both for
27 quite some time).
28
29 The only downside of SCST is that it requires a bit more work to
30 install, mainly because there is no ebuild for it; moreover, while it
31 can be built against and run on a stock kernel, it comes with a couple
32 of kernel patches which should be applied for optimal performance or are
33 needed fot specific features (e.g. the vdisk backend).
34
35 andrea