From: davecode@××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ghosting a Ext3 partition
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 21:44:27
1 "What supports what" is a good reason for non-filesystem backups. For
2 example partimage has trouble with XFS (still...after all these
3 years...). A program like dd doesn't care the fs. Call it a device
4 backup if you like. This is your basic choice in backup - device or fs.
5 Me personally, dd_rescue - far better than raw dd.
6
7 Your backup strategy has implications for partitioning Linux. I make
8 backup partitions with the same byte count. But that's over the top for
9 most. They don't need to match exactly for dev bkups. And of course
10 you don't go dev-to-dev all the time, sometimes dev-to-file and
11 file-to-dev. Don't forget the MBR which dd can backup: dd if=/dev/hdX
12 bs=512 count=1 of=MBR.dd
13
14 Who knows what Linux formats Ghost may or may not support. It's passe
15 even for Windows. They use DOS drivers for everything. That's right
16 16-bit DOS. I am amazed Norton can make money selling stuff like that.
17 Norton may have hosed your fs.
18
19 For repairs and backup it's better to boot something like www.grml.org
20 live CD with lots of good admin tools and fs support. You can run ext3
21 repairs from that. Man e2fsck or whatnot.
24 http://www.fastmail.fm - The way an email service should be
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list